How to maintain hardwood floor
Oiled or varnished
Preserve the appearance of your hardwood or engineered wood flooring for many years thanks to these few tips:
- Use protective mats at entrance doors to collect dirt and absorb moisture. Avoid mats with a rubber undercovering as they could damage the varnish.
- Use protective felt pads under chairs and furniture to prevent scratches.
- Never wash the floor with a lot of water; excessive moisture can damage the wood.
- Use a vacuum cleaner, a mop or a broom to pick up dust.
- Wipe up any spots or spills immediately.
- Never use wax.
- Avoid walking with high-heeled shoes on your hardwood or engineered wood floor.
- The claws of pets can scratch hardwood or engineered wood floors.
Cleaning and Maintenance of Oiled Hardwood Floors
Oiled wood floors require different care from varnished floors. The products used for varnished floors act as grease removers, which would be harmful to your oiled floor finish.
Regular Cleaning of Your Oiled Wood Floor
- Use Wickham’s soap concentrate for oiled floor.
- Vacuum to remove dirt and dust.
- Mix 50 ml of soap concentrate with 4 litres of water. You can use a spray bottle. Shake well.
- Wash the surface with the diluted soap. Be careful not to get your floor too wet.
- Allow it to dry without rinsing.